[WikiEN-l] Re: troubled

Bod NotBod bodnotbod at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 18:12:11 UTC 2004

On the whole clitoris debate, the following might be of interest.

Recently a British broadsheet newspaper allowed guest editors to choose the
articles for their pull out supplement.

The band Franz Ferdinand wanted to publish an artist's photograph described
as "a woman sitting in a relaxed fashion, with her legs spread, as though
she is at breakfast. She is nude and the image shows her body from her belly
button to her knees. The facts of her body are just there - natural,
striking in their presence, and fascinating for it."

They censored this image and instead a picture was used of two artists - one
male, one female -, seated, wearing shirts but no clothing on their lower
halves.  The genitals could be seen but, in the case of the woman, you could
see her pubic hair and the - excuse my poor anatomical language - crease of
her vagina, but no internal detail as would have been seen in the proposed
image.

I'm not sure where that gets you, I'm not seeking to imply this represents
any kind of desirable rule, but it gives you an idea of the state of play at
one respected British publication.  A publication that is very left leaning
I should add, I suppose.

They print all swear words in full, including 'cunt' - most other British
papers use a******ks.

The tabloid "Sun" prints pictures of topless women each day.

An article about the Guardian's picture is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/guesteditors/story/0,14481,1194719,00.html

Graeme