[WikiEN-l] Re: troubled.

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue May 11 15:53:40 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:
> Among the three cited above, penis pictures, torture and humiliation are
> said informative enough, so that we display the pictures directly.
> However, a clitoris is not something informative enough, so, it should
> be hidden.

I think this is inconsistent.

> If a picture is informative, we keep it. If not, we trash it.
>
> If a picture is extremely offensive, we trash it.
> If a picture is generally considered offensive, we apply similar
> standard to all pictures generally considered offensive.
> If a picture is not offensive, we show it.

I think this is exactly correct.  The problem, of course, is that it
is not possible to come up with detailed standards for what is and is
not offensive.

But clearly, I think, the treatment of 'penis' and 'clitoris' should
be the same.

> The argument that the clitoris image is not informative enough, as an
> argument for it to be hidden is a NON-ARGUMENT. Either it is informative
> and we apply it the same standard than to all offensive pictures. Or it
> is not informative, and we trash it.

It could even be argued that a clitoris image is significantly more
informative than a penis image, since (it is said) many men with poor
sexual education do not know how to find it.

--Jimbo