[WikiEN-l] Re: troubled.

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 10:54:18 UTC 2004

I hope everyone will agree that the pictures on the following articles
are potentially offensive for some readers

* penis on penis article
* clitoris on clitoris article
* Torture and humiliation pictures on the prison article

Among the three cited above, penis pictures, torture and humiliation are
said informative enough, so that we display the pictures directly.
However, a clitoris is not something informative enough, so, it should
be hidden.

I would like that we stop applying double standards on the encyclopedia.

If a picture is informative, we keep it. If not, we trash it.

If a picture is extremely offensive, we trash it.
If a picture is generally considered offensive, we apply similar
standard to all pictures generally considered offensive.
If a picture is not offensive, we show it.

All offensive pictures should be treated the same way and displayed the
same way. Either we decide we do not care about hurting some
sensibilities, we display them, and we do this for ALL offensive
pictures. Or we decide we could care a bit, and we put a link to it,
instead of full display in the page.

The argument that the clitoris image is not informative enough, as an
argument for it to be hidden is a NON-ARGUMENT. Either it is informative
and we apply it the same standard than to all offensive pictures. Or it
is not informative, and we trash it.

Now, if a clitoris picture is something not interesting, I also would
like that same standards are applied to all human genitals. If we remove
the clitoris, we remove the penises as well.