[WikiEN-l] Re: I just blocked someone for 9999 hours 1 more thing

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Tue May 11 12:08:49 UTC 2004

I agree with Theresa. We had a case a couple of nights ago where a new
anonymous poster was adding misleading information to [[Football
(soccer)]] among others. Start at stage one with the template "use the
sandbox for your tests next time" message on his talk page, and revert
all his edits. Forty minutes later he's still at it, so put an "OI!!
KNOCK IT OFF!!..." message on his talkpage (from his edits he was
obviously British so would understand the language!), with a warning
he'd be banned if he carries on; revert again. Result, no more is heard
from this anon.

While I'm discussing this case, I would like to argue that we have been
far too lenient with people who make edits concerning fictitious
subjects as if they were real. I'm quite happy for people to discuss
Tolkienisms and Star Trekisms if they make it clear that it's "In the
universe of J.R.R. Tolkien...." or "In the Star Trek universe...", but
it's not acceptable they write about them as if they were in our world.
In the case in point, the poster had a "thing" about Olli Freyr
Oskarsson, who is a real footballer who plays for the obscure Icelandic
team, Thor Akureyri; however in the "Championship Manager" computer game
he is apparently a very desirable player and this poster seemed to be
writing about this players' performance in one his game campaigns! While
to someone on this side of the pond with an interest in football, it's
obviously preposterous to write about Huddersfield Town winning the
Champions League, I wouldn't expect someone in the US to realise that,
just as I would have no idea if someone was posting rubbish about
baseball or NFL or NHL teams. I feel we need to have a stronger
reaction against posters who wilfully post disinformation, whether "just
as a joke" or otherwise.

Arwel

In message
<C88C309EC75BC245876B4647FFD6FBCCA075E5 at emailserv.queens.harley>,