[WikiEN-l] Historian: origin of apparent "policy" re recipes and how-tos?

Daniel P.B.Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue May 11 10:52:39 UTC 2004

NOT a rhetorical question.

I've been very puzzled by an apparent consensus or policy--one with
which I obviously do not agree--that recipes in particular, and
didactic or "how-to" articles in general, do not belong in Wikipedia. I
can give cogent-to-me reasons for not agreeing with this. But I don't
want to discuss that now.

Here's what I want to know. Is this an example of a difficult,
carefully-threshed-out consensus that newer Wikipedians, having not
participated in that consensus, may be unaware of?

(And if so why isn't it documented on any of the policy pages I've been
able to find?)

--
Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net alternate:
dpbsmith at alum.mit.edu
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/