[WikiEN-l] Selling books to increase funding

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Tue May 11 04:54:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Martin Harper wrote:

> > Books which are useful to our readers are always welcome, IMO.
>
> Yes. It will also counteract the impression some viewers may get that Wikipedia
> is constructed entirely from webpage research. Ideally, I'd like us to get to a
> stage where if I'm interested in reading about Darwin, I go to [[Charles Darwin]]
> on Wikipedia, and browse down to "Further reading". You know: *eventually*.

ISTR a criticism many professors have levelled against encyclopedias that
was repeated in this maillist, namely that encyclopedia articles do a lousy
job quoting their sources. Some of us have been responding constructively to
that criticism.

I seem to be involved in a rivalry with a new Wikipedian concerning the
content of some of the articles relating to King Arthur, & if I manage to turn
over a new leaf, & we manage to engage in a productive rivalry, it may
result in the creation of useful bibliographies.

Well, one can always dream; not every conflict should lead to one school
of thought calling the other a bunch of trolls & morons. ;-)

Geoff