[WikiEN-l] Re: Bodnotbod

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 14:51:25 UTC 2004

Any worry belongs to the list :-)

It is not entirely clear to me, whether the user in question is editing under IP, or is registered under a name.

If he is editing under ip, you can't be sure the same person has done the good edits and the bad edits. Perhaps is it an ip used by several different persons. In the this case, we can't really block the ip number, so I would recommand that you just revert the vandalism, perhaps put a comment on the user ip page (if you are on the site at the same time of him), and put a comment on the talk page if he is vandalising the same page over and over. If he is only vandalising the same page, just ask a sysop to temporarily protect it (some people do have a liking in one page sometimes, and focus on adding stupid things only to this one), or possibly to block the ip temporarily so that the user knows he is not going unnoticed.

Now, if the person is a user (with a user page, even an empty one), be bold. Edit his user page, or his talk page, and tell him firmly what you think about what he is doing. Think about using humour as well. Suggest that he participates to the same articles than you. Leave him a message everyday or so. Show him you pay attention to him. But gently. Encourage good edits and firmly revert the bad ones (without agressivity).

Consider this.
Either the guy is just a vandal, trying to hide his vandalism under a couple of good edits. Then, if you stay polite, perhaps even friendly to him, he may either go full vandalism entirely (and he will be banned quite easily) or just give up when he sees his vandalism is firmly removed each time. He may even leave quietly Wikipedia if no one goes into agressing him badly, because he will see that his vandalism is not really funny and not making people strongly react.

Or the guy is rather a good guy, perhaps a kid, testing the system, having a bit of fun, or trying to ask for a bit of attention. Chances is then, that if you pay attention to him, if you try to direct him on providing good contributions, if you praise him, he will feel better than when just testing the system. And he will stop doing the little vandalism. And you will have gain a new contributor :-)

The second situation sounds nicer. I would rather try that first. Don't show you are irritated. And don't show you are scared by him. There is no reason you would be victimised for talking firmly to him. If he reacts by attacking your contributions, then seek for help from other people, but try first giving him a chance. And try to do it yourself. If that works, you will feel great, that is worth it :-)

And if you unfortunately find yourself in the sh** as you say, well, come over to mediation committee page, and I'll offer you a cup of tea :-)

Anthere