[WikiEN-l] On trolls, usenet and Wikipedia

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu May 6 16:46:09 UTC 2004

>How do you deal with users like a troll version of me?

Theresa

Oh dear - and I thought female trolls were in the entwives/hen's teeth class
for rarity.

I think wikis make it very easy for attention-seeking vandals/trolls to get
attention.  After all, vandalise a page, after 30 seconds on RecentChanges
it's reverted; you have your attention.  And rightly given.  An
argumentative person on a Talk page really should be given calm, firm
attention.

Strip out those categories ... well, but the soft security point is not to
argue that this always works, but to point out that it is a good-enough
buffer for all but hard cases.

Charles