[WikiEN-l] [<>: A photo on Wikipedia]

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 22 17:12:25 UTC 2004

My first impression was that this required an RTFM response, but when I
look at the picture I realize that it's a fair use picture.  The
question isn't silly anymore.  Although I'm on the end of the spectrum
that supports using fair use material, I believe that the person who
contributes fair use material still has a responsibility to cite his
sources.  That in turn depends on knowing what it means to cite sources.
 The contributor probably felt that mentioning Joey de Vera was enough,
but I think he fell short.  Citing a source means adding enough
information to allow the downstream user with adequate resources to
verify the facts and to exercise his own due dilligence.  Our Polish
user evidently wants to do this.  The picture in question was taken in
1986 in the Philippines.  A person who is skilled at searching the web
may be able to track this down, but even for him that could be hours of
work  It is not the responsibility of the community as a whole to do one
person's homework.

The contributor in this case, Seav,  remains active on Philippine
related topics; perhaps the problem should be put in his lap

Ec