[WikiEN-l] User talk page spamming (policy suggestion)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 7 05:36:00 UTC 2004

Optim wrote:

>talkpage spamming. I disagreed. Timwi replied
>stating "It is annoying to be bothered with
>impersonal requests that you have nothing to do
>with."
>
>My message:
>
>Since you had edited the article, you had some
>connection with the case, so it was not spamming.
>
>Personally I was very happy to get this user's
>message regarding Lucid dreaming, and I wouldn't
>like people to stop informing me about articles
>where I have contributed because of some
>"spamming" policy.
>
>I wouldn't like if some user will use the talk
>pages for real spamming (i.e. "buy my product"
>etc). But I just don't understand how the cases
>you described can be considered spamming.
>
>I wouldn't object a spamming policy if it could
>define properly what spamming is.

Soliciting other members for help in developing an article or topic
seems fair in a project this size.  None of us can otherwise be fully
aware of all potentially interesting developments.  It's true that many
people who helped with the article may only have corrected a
misspelling.  If that's the case they should just delete the message and
go on with life.  This kind of "spam" is trivial when compared to what
goes on elsewhere.

Ec