[WikiEN-l] Re: User talk page spamming (policy suggestion)

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sat Mar 6 16:36:34 UTC 2004

Optim wrote:

> talkpage spamming. I disagreed. Timwi replied
> stating "It is annoying to be bothered with
> impersonal requests that you have nothing to do
> with."
>
> My message:
>
> Since you had edited the article, you had some
> connection with the case, so it was not spamming.

This was also their (the spammer's) argument, but it's a very bad
argument. I do *not* automatically have a connection with an article
just because I corrected a spelling mistake. As I said, if correcting a
spelling mistake automatically means I have some sort of connection to
the article and people were allowed to mass-post a request to hundreds
of User talk pages of spelling correctors, then I will be heavily
discouraged from correcting spelling mistakes again. I cannot believe
you want this to happen.

The correct place to draw attention to the Lucid dreaming Wikibook would
have been [[Talk:Lucid dreaming]]. Someone who has edited the article
*and* is interested in the topic -- and hence, the intended audience --
will have that article on their Watchlist.

> Personally I was very happy to get this user's
> message regarding Lucid dreaming, and I wouldn't
> like people to stop informing me about articles
> where I have contributed because of some
> "spamming" policy.

Again, this is what your Watchlist is for.

Timwi