[WikiEN-l] Mentoring system (was: Some Restrictions May Apply)

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 14:38:10 UTC 2004

--- Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:

> Just as something for all to think about, for the last couple of
> months,
> I've been making edits to WP from work without logging in. I'm not
> adding
> anything controversial thru my "sock puppet" -- unless fixing typos
> & bad
> grammar is considered insidiously pushing a POV -- & I would rather
> not
> draw my employer's attention to my online activities between 8:00 &
> 5:00 (after all, I should be working ;-).

<humor>
You insidious POV pusher!!! Ohhh, the Irony! SockPuppetry at its
finest!!! Plus, getting paid while doing it...
</humor>

> However, I just noticed today that I've managed to make something
> like
> 70 edits from a single IP address, & no one's seemed to notice. Not
> that
> I care, but one has to wonder how many more anonymous contributors
> are
> quietly working away on a regular basis, adding positively to
> Wikipedia
> without anyone noticing.

Your point is well taken.
I imagine people have many reasons not to log in at times, from fear
of the Dreaded Year-End Employee Evaluation, to fear of governmental
retribution.

Effectively, anons cannot be assumed to be newbies.

=====
Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell
chris_mahan at yahoo.com