[WikiEN-l] Mentoring system (was: Some Restrictions May Apply)

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jul 1 05:37:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Rowan Collins wrote:

> > I wonder to what extent it sould be possible to allow for system
> > messages, to be seen by the person the next time they refresh... This
> > would be more like a slow im, with no history being kept, but rather
> > an informal communication. This way, next to the anon's IP, there
> > could be a "send text message" which would appear the next time the
> > user requested a W page.
>
> We already have it: Edit the User_talk page of a user, even one only
> known by an IP address; the message "You have new messages" will
> appear on their screen until they follow the link. It is indeed very
> encouraging as a new user (I must start doing it more myself...)
> :)

Just as something for all to think about, for the last couple of months,
I've been making edits to WP from work without logging in. I'm not adding
anything controversial thru my "sock puppet" -- unless fixing typos & bad
grammar is considered insidiously pushing a POV -- & I would rather not
draw my employer's attention to my online activities between 8:00 &
5:00 (after all, I should be working ;-).

However, I just noticed today that I've managed to make something like
70 edits from a single IP address, & no one's seemed to notice. Not that
I care, but one has to wonder how many more anonymous contributors are
quietly working away on a regular basis, adding positively to Wikipedia
without anyone noticing.

I guess it's true what they say about squeaky wheels.

Geoff