[WikiEN-l] Rule of Law

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jan 27 18:48:02 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:

>We need to especially follow our own "laws", Wikipedia terms of use, our own
>bylaw. Definitely copyright law which all members need to learn and respect
>for the welfare of the project. Since we are not copyright experts we need
>to make conservative interpretations.
>
>With respect to real world law in general, we need to use common sense. For
>example, in Colorado, it is slander to speak ill of the dead.
>Unconstitutional but on the books last I heard.

The common sense approach should apply in all cases.  Following a law
just because it is on the books is silly, as the Colorado example
plainly shows.  The spirit of the laws is far more important than the
letter of the law.

Respect for copyright law does not mean taking it to the point of
putting ourselves at extreme disadvantage.  If in a given situation two
interpretations are reasonably available there is nothing wrong with
opting for the more favorable one.  An ISP does have the duty to remove
clear copyright violations when he finds them without being notified.
 If there are reasonable doubts about the violation it should stay until
there is a direct complaint by an authorized person; at that point there
will be plenty of time for review.

I also follow the principle that there is no copyright unless someone
exists to own it.

Ec