[WikiEN-l] admin abuse

Angela sloog77 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 26 23:58:52 UTC 2004

In hindsight, banning this user may have been a bad
idea. He was asking for it, but I shouldn't have taken
the bait.

For those who weren't following the block log at the
time, I should point out that it was only this user's
username that was blocked. His IP was unblocked, so he
was free to create a new account with a more
appropriate user name if he really wanted to
contribute sensibly. However, the fact that the first
thing he did after being blocked was to create the
account " User:UnbannableTwo", I expect his intention
is to upset people rather than to be part of
Wikipedia.

Many people have expressed support for what I did,
both on IRC and on the mailing list, but I know that
policy wise the decision could be criticised. I agree
with earlier comments that this should not be used to
establish a precedent of sysops making blocks on user
names. Hopefully in future that won't need to happen
as the arbitration committee will be available to deal
with users who are demonstrating troll-like behaviour
and those who are trying to test the system, so the
decision won't be left to individual judgement.

I apologise to those who feel I have overstepped my
bounds on this one.

Angela.