[WikiEN-l] Re: Proposal: News site about wikis

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 14:20:17 UTC 2004

Charles Matthews wrote:

>My guess is that 'promoting' wiki is still an unsolved problem.  The reasons
>being that the concept doesn't make anyone money, nor save them time; in
>fact, just the opposite.

Actually, the Wikipedia *can* save time. It has saved time for me on
occasion. I use it the way I'd use a non-wiki encyclopedia, to look
up information about topics. Recently, for example, I was doing some
writing and research about the California recall election, and I used
the Wikipedia article on Arnold Schwarzenegger to look up some basic
facts about his life and career, such as the names of movies in which
he appeared. Of course, I could have found that information elsewhere
on the web by doing a Google search, but the Wikipedia had already
pulled it together in a neat little synthesized summary, saving me
the time it would take to wade through several dozen Google hits
looking for the same information.
--