[WikiEN-l] First formal request for a Mediator

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Jan 15 16:24:15 UTC 2004

I've been asked to be a mediator, by Jack Lynch (seconded by
Danny) re: RK.

This is going to be hard.

First, I might wind up recusing myself early on because my
"interest" in Israel might make me biased. I invite those who
know me well (and who have earned my trust) to contact me
privately /immediately upon/ seeing any signs of bias on my
part that may tend to sabotage the mediation.

Second, there haven't been enough specifics presented. I hope
people will either post diffs as links, on my user talk page so
I can see EXAMPLES of what they're complaining about.

Third, I am sometimes pretty contentious myself, so I might
turn a blind eye to someone else's contentiousness and
troublesomeness.

This might be easy.

First, I am aware of a lot of my limitiations, and publicly
acknowledging them will help keep me honest.

Second, despite my weaknesses a lot of people trust me --
possibly /because/ I rather freely admit to these weaknesses,
rather than trying to hide them.

At least one person on each side of the current conflict (the
world vs. RK ;-) has written me some very nice personal e-mail.
Without revealing confidences, I can say that the contents of
these e-mails inspires me the hope that a quick and lasting
resolution is within our grasp.

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed
A member of the official Mediation Committee

P.S. Gosh, I wear a lot of hats!