[WikiEN-l] Re: Audience : was Re: pictures of genetalia

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 14:25:32 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer a écrit:
> Optim wrote:
>
>>There is no discrimination between Native and
>>Non-Native speakers. Let's get rid of discriminations.
>

> There is no discrimination. It is a matter of information organization and
> focus, which means that an encyclopedia in one language is not really the
> same thing as an encyclopedia in another language. So people who are not
> native speakers should respect the traditions of the second language they may
> be writing in. If they don't then the resulting articles will only be
> maximally useful to people who happen to have the same primary language as
> themselves. Cross pollination is nice and a good thing, but can only be taken
> so far.

One of the greatest things on each Wikipedia, is that there is no
discrimination of language, culture, sex, color, education etc...

As long as one respect copyrights, npov rules, write in the appropriate
language, and do not vandalise the place, one is welcome to participate
to the best of his abilities, with no hierarchy and classification of
value. We all have equivalent rights and duties as editors. We can all
provide content, help with setting up the rules, organise the place,
build up the community, develop the software, on a piedestal of
equality. With equal respect between editors, whatever their origin,
since they have a common goal, building the encyclopedia.

Wikipedia is empowering everyone. It is breaking up barriers of
nationalities and languages, who often give more rights to one culture
than another.

That is neat. Wikipedia is neat :-)