[WikiEN-l] Audience : was Re: pictures of genetalia

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 03:01:43 UTC 2004

Optim wrote:
>There is no discrimination between Native and
>Non-Native speakers. Let's get rid of discriminations.

There is no discrimination. It is a matter of information organization and
focus, which means that an encyclopedia in one language is not really the
same thing as an encyclopedia in another language. So people who are not
native speakers should respect the traditions of the second language they may
be writing in. If they don't then the resulting articles will only be
maximally useful to people who happen to have the same primary language as
themselves. Cross pollination is nice and a good thing, but can only be taken
so far.

For example, if I spoke French as a second language, I would not insist that a
textbook written in French follow standards of focus and organization that
are common in English textbooks. To do so would make the French textbook less
useful to most French speakers (except those whose primary language is
English). Also, if every combination of primary/secondary language audience
were written to, then the textbook would be huge and not be very useful to
any audience. See what I mean?

But since we are a wiki whose content is created by volunteers (most of whom
who are native speakers), these rough edges will get ironed out very
naturally in time - if left alone. So the point is really moot (and is more
of a background effect to larger differences in personal likes and dislikes
of information organization - those get ironed out in time as well). But it
is still an important point because we *could* form policies that work
against this natural inclination. That, IMO, would be a very bad thing.

But having Wikipedias in different languages helps to ensure that each is
maximally useful to their readers.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)