[WikiEN-l] An end to ugliness (was: This is getting ugly)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Jan 13 14:00:06 UTC 2004

Peter Jaros wisely observed:

> That said, there *is* a substantive issue hidden in this mess.  The
> NPOV of certain articles is being questioned.  Let's address that.
> What has happened to the articles in the past does not matter anymore.

> Remember, the page history may exist, but it's the latest revision
that
> counts.  Let's discuss what *is* there and what *should be* there.
> Without accusing each other of anti-Anythingism.

Behind all the personal remarks probably lurks unexpressed or unresolved
feelings about values. It's often easier to castigate a person, than to
articulate one's values. Especially quickly. And even more so when
constrained by the Neutral Point of View. "Neutral? Screw neutral, I'm
going to kill those bastards!"

But our only business here is to craft neutral articles, even on life
and death issues. We either work together, or we leave the project.

That's why I often recommend we cool off. Take a weekend, a month, and
don't write about controversial stuff if you can't keep your temper in
check. I follow my own advice.

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed