[WikiEN-l] Reading Software

Gutza gutza at moongate.ro
Tue Jan 13 13:18:17 UTC 2004

Nikos-Optim wrote:

>>There even is no need for any special hidden
>>punctuation: it should not be a
>>problem for the software to automatically add a ; at
>>the end of every heading
>>and list item.
>>

>you mean Wikipedia's software (for the "Speakable
>Version" link), right?
>
>--Optim

Yes, that's the idea, tweaking the Wiki's "rendering" engine as to
produce proper "markup" for reading, as opposed to the two existing
variants or markup (regular and print).

I also proposed a "simple" rendering version some time ago IIRC, don't
remember what came out of that. My idea was to be able to access the
articles as plain text -- no links, no images, no markup, no nothing,
just plain (maybe flowed, as in the MIME type?) text with proper spacing
(one empty line between paragraphs, bullets represented as asterisks and
indented lists, etc). That could be used for various purposes, for
instance it would make it really easy to integrate in third-party online
applications, such as multiplayer games (just one example that came to
mind).

--Gutza