[WikiEN-l] Re: Please stop the harassment and censorship.

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 02:35:12 UTC 2004

Cher RK,

Robert a écrit:
> Anthere writes about Danny and Jimbo:
>
>>I still have not really understood why he left. I can't
>>help to think that it *can't* be just because of Jimbo's
>>comments.
>

> Your sarcasm towards Jimbo does not make Wikipedia a better
> place. Please desist.

You may choose to see it as sarcasm RK. It was not.
You needed not to interprete in a negative way by default.
I am essentially worried for Danny, and am even more worried for the
impact on us all. You included. And Jimbo included.

> Danny has made it clear why he left. There are over 100,000
> articles on Wikipedia, and he made sure that he had to get
> his way on every one that he edited. The first time he was
> rebuffed on *one* article, he deleted his account and ran
> away. Now some other user is running away as well, all
> because some people would rather blatantly censor
> information than jointly edit articles.

I do not see any blatant censorship. I just see pain and difficulty to
realize we are different and will always be different. We will always
have different opinions, and sometimes we will not even realize that
others think different, till we are brutally confronted to the tructh.
And when something is near our heart, it is seriously difficult to admit
other opinions. Some take it more easily than others, because it is
their nature to be less easily upset. Give time. We have plenty of time :-)

> In contrast, I have seen a few regular users on this very
> list get strongly rebuffed, and most of their edits
> rebuffed on some articles (not just one.) Yet they don't
> leave the project in a huff; most people here understand
> that this is a group effort that strives to incorporate
> multiple points of view.

All people here are commited to the group effort. Being commited does
not mean we all do it right and perfect from the first try. It is not
perfection that is most valuable, it is constant improvement.

> Those people that cannot stand the sight of points of view
> other than their own will eventually burn out.  It is up to
> you which kind of user you would like to be.

It is not the sight of the other points of view that is unbearable
sometimes, to the point of leaving the project.

It is the fact that sometimes we can't work all together with civility.

All of us have a topic that can be burning, even genitalia. Is that a
reason not to stay civil ? Many important things can be said without
offending others. And actually, it often works better to stay polite.
And not only is it best for both parties to stay polite, but it is best
to assume politeness in case of a doubt. It is more confortable for the
spirit.
If  temper is lost at some point, it works wonders to apology or at
least to adopt a more friendly behavior after the crisis is resolved.

In a crisis situation, some will scream hell, some will stay cold and
attack the other, some will silently avoid the area for a while, some
will quit entirely. All attitudes are ok. Anyone can adopt one of this
attitude depending on his personality. It is respectful to accept  all
attitudes. As long as the group recovers from the crisis and go on
respecting each member. Human capital is too precious for us.