[WikiEN-l] Edit War on Wikipedia:Conflicts between users

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jan 11 18:57:39 UTC 2004

Almost every day I look to the Wikipedia Website to add information, or
perhaps -- even better -- to read some articles about something I
didn't know much about. And outside of an occasional email to this
list as the result of some navel-gazing, I tend to stay out of most
of the disagreements over policy. In other words, I don't go looking
to find a new reason for banning people.

But I have found one today, thanks to Wik.

As many of us have seen, Wik enters into more than his share of edit
wars. I don't know his reasoning: is he just pig-headed? Does he enjoy
pointless arguments? I don't know, & I really don't care. But it seems
to me that when someone enters into an edit war over certain pages
on Wikipedia, it should be grounds for some kind of serious reprimand,
such as a ban for 1 to 3 days.

One of those pages would be [[Wikipedia:Conflicts between users]]. Others
could include VfD, [[Wikipedia:Cleanup]], [[Wikipedia:Village Pump]],
[[Wikipedia:Pages needing attention]] -- in short any page where
discussion is important, & repeated reversions impedes that discussion.

If there is a meeting, & someone acts in an obnoxious manner which
prevents the meeting from continuing, that person can be ejected. That
is what I'm arguing we do here: these pages are where members of Wikipedia
conduct business, & must needs be kept free of reversions.

What say everyone? Shall we accept this as a precedent & ban Wik, or
is there a better solution?

Geoff