[WikiEN-l] Let's get rid of VfD

KNOTT, T TKNOTT at qcl.org.uk
Fri Jan 9 17:01:41 UTC 2004

Rick wrote:
> Fine.  I give up.  I will no longer list anything to be deleted, and
>I will stop deleting any garbage that any vandals want to add to
>Wikipedia.

When I see obvious vandalism, I revert. If a newbie creates an experimental
page  "fgh" etc. I just delete. No need to go through VfD for that sort of
thing. Everything else should be cleaned up, not deleted.

 When I was a newbie, I had some of my stuff listed on VfD because I didn't
understand the way things are done around here - It's not nice to have you
work criticized in this manner. It is off-putting, fortunately I'm thick
skinned but others are not so. I've seen lots of things put on VfD because
they are deemed "trivial". This is insulting to the people who put their
time and effort into writing the "not important" article. Obviously the
article was important to at least one person.

I've seen a large number of How-to type articles listed on VfD because they
are "not encyclopaedic". Although I agree that this type of article is not
what you find in a paper encyclopaedia it is often useful knowledge that
potential users of Wikipedia may very well want to know, recently some
people have been moving the how-to pages over to Wikibooks, which is a much
more suitable place for this type of article IMO but if the deletionists got
their way , much of the material may have been lost in the meantime.

Most worryingly of all. I've seen some syops delete pages based on as
majority rather than a consensus. The page is broke and can't be fixed :-(

Let's have [[newbie tests]] so that non sysops can bring "hello! Paul is
gay!" type pages to a sysop attention.

And [[Pages that need to be moved to other wikis]] for wikionary quotes etc

And [[Vanity pages]] for suspected vanity pages

And have everything else go to [[cleanup]]

If it doesn't work out after a while, we can always bring back VfD

Theresa

Proposal copied to talk:VfD please answer there.

Theresa