[WikiEN-l] Re: Question about MediaWiki namespace

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 23:57:26 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> Tim Starling wrote:
>>
>> There is a known bug with MSG in that changing the links in a message
>> will break the link table of the articles which include it. So in your
>> example, the "what links here" for [[Omega (letter)]] would have listed
>> all the greek letter articles, despite the fact that they were all
>> updated to point to [[Omega]] instead.
>

> Then I suppose that bug should be fixed?...
>
>> The moral to this story is: don't change messages unless you really
>> need to. And don't use MSG in places where you're expecting changes to
>> the links.
>

> In light of that bug, I agree, but once it's fixed, then I suppose we
> can start using this?

Yes. In fact with a few simple extra features, it could be used for many
templates. The most important suggested feature is "parameterised
inclusion". For example, if [[MediaWiki:Hello]] contains "Hello $1,
welcome to $2", then {{msg:hello|Timwi|Wikipedia}} would generate "Hello
Timwi, welcome to Wikipedia".

-- Tim Starling