[WikiEN-l] Re: Print edition

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Feb 29 07:05:56 UTC 2004

Nikola Smolenski wrote:

>On Saturday 28 February 2004 01:57, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>That would be fine, although this project would probably need more
>>restrictive editing rights than the main Wikipedia, if it ever wants to
>>accomplish anything.
>>
>I agree, but also hope that there will also be a policy of not changing
>factual contents of the articles. I see no point in trying to write NPOV if
>editors would just POV it in print.

NPOV disputes would probably kill the peper version.  If an article
seems to be heading for that, it might be better to omit it entirely in
the first edition.

>Oh, by the way, it seems that I am the first to notice that a printed
>encyclopedia also needs a preface :)

I guess Jimbo will have to do that. :-)

Another item of interest would be a list of contributors (either real
names, Wikipedia names, or something completely different as they each
individually decide) with the name of their home towns.  This latter
touch would illustrate the wide geographical range of people who have
participated.

Someone else mentioned the US/UK spelling issue.  These should stay just
as we now have them except as needed to maintain consistency within an
individual article.  That decision could be explained in the introduction.

Ec