[WikiEN-l] Fair use in the UK

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Feb 23 21:59:10 UTC 2004

Optim wrote:

>I am against the use of "fair use" images and
>other material.
>
>Whenever I use Wikipedia I want to be sure that I
>can redistribute and modify any content I find in
>it under the terms of GFDL.
>
>So a ban on fair use material seems reasonable
>and desired to me.
>
>Perhaps we could divide the English Wikipedia in
>an "American Wikipedia" and an "International
>Wikipedia" (or "Pure GFDL Wikipedia") where the
>American edition would allow fair use material
>and the International edition would be just a
>copy (done automatically by software) without
>fair use material (software should have a
>checkbox "Fair use" in the Upload function so the
>copy routine would just copy all content not
>marked as "Fair use").

I have no problem with fair use images, so for me banning them entirely
would be unreasonable.  There are just too many variables.  Tagging
strikes me as more sensible, with a wide variety of possible tags.  The
user could then decide on his own level of risk tolerance rather than
having that decided by a handful of do-gooders who think they know the law.

Ec