[WikiEN-l] Definition of ad hominem

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Aug 31 19:42:14 UTC 2004

Rick answered Chris:

> > The deletionist attitudes are pretty dumb - they don't give
> > articles the chance to become good.
>
> Please don't post ad hominem attacks on the mailing list.

But Chris was not making an ad hominem argument, nor was he making a
personal remark. He was calling an idea or practice "dumb", and that is
permitted by the rules of this mailing list.

Now, if he had said that trolls like Michael or Wik advocate
deletionism, so it must be dumb -- that would be an ad hominem argument,
and therefore fallacious (although not against the list rules).

Or, if he had said that Chris or I was dumb, because we advocate
deletionism, that would be a personal remark -- and not permitted on
this list.

Pedantically,

Ed Poor
List Admin Emeritus     <-------- and keeper of the Flame