[WikiEN-l] Pcw and USENET

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Wed Aug 25 13:21:12 UTC 2004

> From: Jens Ropers <ropers at ropersonline.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Dartmouth class project now on VFD
> The instructor has really gotten his knickers in a twist with this:
>
> He's obviously got an IT background (at least to some extent) or he
> would hardly be an instructor at all (maybe I'm too optimistic ;-).
> However, as we all like to forget, IT has ''somewhat'' diversified in
> the last two decades or so and somebody might be an old pro who knows
> his x86 assembly language by heart but has somehow, say, never touched
> Usenet.

I recognized his name from his postings in comp.risks. And, yes, it's the
same guy: I asked him.

Try a Google Groups advanced search on exact phrase pcw at flyzone.com . And
that's just ONE of his RECENT email addresses. (Then try one on "Peter
Wayner". My only concern is the possibility that there's more than one Peter
Wayner, as he seems to be fairly prolific.)

Since emails from him give pcw at flyzone.com as the return address...

...and since pcw at flyzone.com seems to be the author of "Translucent
Databases" (see ttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0967584418/002
-3782040-1645636?v=glance&vi=reviews), why, he must also be the author of all
those books at http://www.wayner.org/books/ ...

...which means he's the author of "Free for All: How Linux and the Free
Software Movement Undercut the High-tech Titans."

Which means there's at least a chance that he's read "The Cathedral and the
Bazaar."

I'm trying to get up the nerve to ask him outright whether _he's_ notable.