[WikiEN-l] Re: Dartmouth class project now on VFD

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Aug 24 23:50:15 UTC 2004

Duncan Harris wrote:

> I've gone through most of these article, cross referencing all those
> on vfd.  Some are pretty good, only needing minor sweeps, but for
> every good article, there's atleast one bad one.  The pcw has a
> responsibility to provide us with a list of articles worked on.  He
> can accept what twaddle he likes for his assignment, but yes this does
> reflect badly on him and the university (especially with one idiot
> trying to defend the reserve football team by impersonating RickK).  I
> think people sweeping this rubbish should give themselves a round of
> applaus. pcw should be warned not to attempt this again in a similar
> form unless he changes the wording of his assignment, as it may
> constitute organised vandalism.

The proper term for this kind of response is "arrogance".

Why does he have any more responsibility to provide such a list than
anyone else?. Everyone on this project has the right to anonymity, and
you are promoting a breach of that privacy.   I think the type of
exercise offerred by this  prof was commendable, and more of it should
be encouraged.  Some of the articles may appear sophomoric and local,
but if people like you were not putting on such  superior airs more
might be encouraged to produce better material.

I know nothing about Dartmouth, but I did go to the article, [[Dartmouth
Film Society]], and found it perfectly acceptable.  A society that has
been active since 1947 is certainly worthy of mention.  I then looked at
a sample of other items that you had recommended for deletion, and they
certainly seemed worthy of articles.  The various articles about high
schools were talked about and generally found acceptable more than a
year ago.

Pcw appears to have acted in good faith; that's not vandalism.  If
there's any vandalism being practised it's by those individuals who
maintain a pogrom against anything that does not fit into their narrow
little worlds.

Ec