[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 58

Dan Miller meelar2 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 22:58:27 UTC 2004

> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:41:50 -0400
> From: "Anthony DiPierro"
> <anthonydipierro at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Dartmouth class project now
> on VFD
> To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>
>
> > Unfortunately, even though the class assignment
> required that the articles
> created by the students meet Wikipedia
> > requirements, now that most of them have been
> listed on VfD, the
> instructor is trying to claim that they do meet our
> > requirements.  It seems if the vast majority of
> the articles have made it
> to VfD, then not only has the majority of the class
> > failed the assignment, but the instructor doesn't
> understand the nature of
> Wikipedia.  If the majority of a class fails an
> > assignment, that has to say something about the
> instructor, as well.
>
> >  RickK
>
> Says something about how well we explain our
> requirements as well.  Or in
> this case, how well we agree on our requirements.
> Most of the articles
> listed *did* meet our requirements.  VfD is broken.
> It probably never
> worked in the first place.
>
> Anthony

I don't know if Vfd is broken. However, I can tell you
that the only way for people to learn it is to spend
time around it. I can say pretty well what will make
it through, but a new user would have no idea. We need
a set of guidelines more specific than [[What
Wikipedia is not]] to guide people. Really, the place
is so large and involved now that the only way to
learn is by staying with it.

Meelar

=====
There are more than 17,000 known Kennedys in Massachusetts alone, according to the Kennedy Tracking Center, which uses special collars equipped with GPS devices. Most of the Kennedys live on a large preserve set aside in the central part of the state, where they can roam and mate freely.
--Dave Barry