[WikiEN-l] Image upload and tagging

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Mon Aug 23 04:45:08 UTC 2004

It's probably been suggested a quadzillion times, but what with all the
image and tagging issues we're currently ruminating on:

Why don't we simply make tags mandatory ''when uploading''?
Add a ''mandatory'' list form to [[Special:Upload]] -- so that you can
''only'' upload if you pick a choice.
Then automatically insert the corresponding tag depending on what the
user picks (the tag should still remain editable later, of course, but
at least it's there for starters).

Let's be generous at first and include ''all'' the tags in that list,
even the ones we don't really like that much. -- At least we're going
to ''have'' tags (where we previously often had none.)
I'd even add a choice of "Other" to the list, whereby, if you pick
that, you gotta make a mandatory entry into a freeform field and, say,
an {{other}} tag will then be attached as well.

We can still become more restrictive later, but isn't it high time we
took this simple step?

I for one was just about to upload some image and I shamefully realized
that I've often simply forgotten a tag in the past -- simply because
it's not mandatory.

Thoughts?

- Jens