[WikiEN-l] Schemes for Version Marking (was: Markiing a version with a status flag)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Aug 10 13:51:11 UTC 2004

Timwi and Maveric have come up with two excellent ideas for marking
article versions:

1. Status flags

* For example, "RC Patrolled" by a particular contributor (possible in a
whitelist)

2. Status voting

* For example, one click on "I have read this" increments the LookedAt
counter by 1.
* Or, clicking on "RC Patrolled" increments the Patrolled counter by 1.

Idea #2 is easier for developers to write, because it's a very simple
database query, something like:

UPDATE article SET Patrolled = Patrolled + 1
WHERE article.version = 35498

(Please don't write me back, telling me I got the table and column names
wrong. I'm making a point about how easy it is, not telling anyone how
to do it!)

Idea #1 may prove to be just as useful, or even more so, especially if
Maveric's idea about a "web of trust" can be developed along these
lines.

Should we cross-post this thread to WikiTech?

Ed Poor