[WikiEN-l] Some questions from WP-tr regarding copyright

M Atakan Gurkan ato at northwestern.edu
Thu Aug 5 23:04:22 UTC 2004

Hi,
I have asked some questions regarding a copyright situation in Turkish
Wikipedia in English Wikipedia's Copyright Problem's talk page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk%3ACopyright_problems#Some_questions_from_WP-tr
Finlay McWalter then suggested that I post it here since there is a relevant
discussion going on here at the moment. I won't rewrite what I have written
there though. Note that not all of this case is relevant to this list but I
am looking at the opinions of the editors at English Wikipedia and possible
past precedents.

The part relevant to ongoing discussions here is that an editor in WP-tr
claimed that the legality of his contribution is under Turkish law's
jurisdiction since he contributes from Turkey and the alleged (by me)
copyright violation is on a work originated in Turkey. My two cents on
the issue is this:

1- For copyright and other issues US law must be obeyed since distribution
takes from partially in the States.
2- For copyright and other issues, if the content is illegal in other
jurisdictions other than US, best effort should be made to indicate this on
those pages so while distributing Wikipedia in those countries the distributor
can remove them. But this should not be a reason to remove the content from
Wikipedia.

Actually whether the case I mention above falls under US or Turkish
jurisdiction is not relevant because Turkish law is fully compatible with
US law for this matter.

I would really appreciate if you could visit the URL above and provide some
precedent from the English Wikipedia.

Thanks,

ato