[WikiEN-l] Where are all the trolls?

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Aug 4 06:09:17 UTC 2004

N.T. Riche wrote:
> I am not sure, but I seriously don't think trolling is a problem.

Just in case others don't know, Nick is User:Plato who is an express
advocate for trolling via his concept of the "red faction".  His user
page currently reads "To be a troll is not a shameful thing; we troll
for peace, justice, liberty, and righteousness!  Down with the cabal!
Down with those who oppose the people!  We will not stop until There
Is Not Cabal!!!!!!"

Nick has at least dropped his goal of "violent overthrow" of the
"Wiki-police state".

> I have a few question for Rick and Heph and others:
>
> What constitutes trolling?

I would say that your red faction page is a very good example.  That
most people just ignore it is a testament to the infinite patience and
goodwill of the community.

> If so should trolls be banned without a hearing?

I don't see that anyone has ever seriously suggested such a thing.  We
are well aware of many complex issues involved here.

> Could other users defend a troll without them being called a troll
>(Like I have)?

Isn't that pretty disingenuous?  I think the reason people call you a
troll is that you *are* a troll, a self-admitted one who seems to
delight in the concept of disruptive people organizing themselves.

> I don't see trolling to be a problem, I see users that act like
>vigilantes to be a problem. I've seen some users that claimed to be
>"free-thinkers" but banned people without a hearing from the
>Arb. committee. I've seen users that claimed to be Liberals, but where
>ultra-reactionary in banning practices and are no better than the
>people they criticize. Now I never once said they're was a "cabal" but
>what I am saying is that I believe in FREEDOM.

You never once said that there was a cabal?  That's just false, it
says "down with the cabal" and a ton of other stupid nonsense right
there on your user pages.

--Jimbo