[WikiEN-l] Block #1

Anthony DiPierro anthonydipierro at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 23:51:13 UTC 2004

> The user-space article in question is definitely on-topic for an
> article in that space; it's about en.wikipedia (in specific, pictures
> of a real-world meet of wikipedians).  Do you seriously believe that
> articles, photo galleries etc. of Wikipedian meets are not (or should
> not be) allowed on the english wikipedia in the user space?

Yes.

> Copyright problems OTHER than violations are also on-topic for
> [[Wikipedia:Copyright problems]] - that's exactly why the name got
> moved, IIRC.  So that's where you bring up issues with image
> licensing.

That's news to me.  I remember having a listing deleted because it was a
licensing issue other than a copyright violation, although I believe that
was before the name change.

> I am absolutely sure, Anthony, that you listed this on VfD knowing
> everyone would disagree.  Thus, I believe you did it for the purpose
> of "making a point"; ie. trolling.

Well, you're simply wrong.

> -Morven

> I for one congratulate the mediation committee in their success in
reaching an
> agreement on this case, that has allowed Raul654 to rapidly and robustly
deal with the
> issue, pending further discussion. I hope that mediation will continue to
resolve many
> similar issues without resorting to arbitration.

> -Martin

The mediation committee had nothing to do with the agreement.  Raul and I
came to the agreement ourselves on IRC.  (And as was pointed out, Raul
didn't make the block.)

Danny, who is a member of the mediation committee, did facilitate an
agreement in this particular case (of the most recent block).  I agreed (on
IRC) that in hindsight I should have handled the issue in a way other than
listing the page on VfD.  I also agreed that Danny could remove the
nomination.  Raul agreed to unblock me in light of this and upon Danny
removing the nomination.

Raul and I then spoke about the issue of the copyright of the images.  His
concern was that it might not be legal for him to release the images under
the GFDL, as there are people depicted in the images who have a right to
privacy.  While I disagree with him on this legal issue, I understand this
concern, so I'm not going to press the issue any further.

As for whether or not this page of images violates what Wikipedia is not, I
still feel that it does, but as there is a concensus against me I won't
press that issue any further either.  In addition, as I've already said, I'm
not going to be listing pages created by admins on VfD, or pages created by
any longstanding user without speaking with them first.

Anthony