[WikiEN-l] Block #1

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 23:16:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:59:00 -0400, Anthony DiPierro
<anthonydipierro at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I referenced the violations right in my email.  [[Wikipedia:What Wikipedia
> is not]] #15, and
> [[Wikipedia:Copyrights]]  ("If you contribute material to Wikipedia, you
> thereby license it
> to the public under the GFDL").  The appropriate place to bring up a
> violation of what Wikipedia is not is on VfD.  As for the violation of
> Wikipedia:Copyrights, there really isn't an appropriate place to bring it
> up.  It's not a copyright violation, so the copyright problems page isn't
> appropriate.  And the image is still used on a page, so images for deletion
> isn't appropriate either.

The user-space article in question is definitely on-topic for an
article in that space; it's about en.wikipedia (in specific, pictures
of a real-world meet of wikipedians).  Do you seriously believe that
articles, photo galleries etc. of Wikipedian meets are not (or should
not be) allowed on the english wikipedia in the user space?

Copyright problems OTHER than violations are also on-topic for
[[Wikipedia:Copyright problems]] - that's exactly why the name got
moved, IIRC.  So that's where you bring up issues with image
licensing.

I am absolutely sure, Anthony, that you listed this on VfD knowing
everyone would disagree.  Thus, I believe you did it for the purpose
of "making a point"; ie. trolling.

The proper course of action would have been to take it up with the
user directly.  I do agree that if Raul654 wants to put up
redistribution-prohibited pictures and cares deeply about that
restriction, he might want to consider placing his images elsewhere
(if nothing else, because technically by submitting his own work to
Wikipedia, he explicitly DID license those images under the GFDL ...)

-Morven