[WikiEN-l] Block #1

Anthony DiPierro anthonydipierro at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 22:59:00 UTC 2004

> This page is a bit of information and photos from the Boston meeting of
> Wikipedians. It is obviously in violation of nothing. What were you
> thinking?

> Fred

> The 'legitimate' reason for the complaint, I gather, is that the
> images are marked copyrighted and explicitly deny the right to
> redistribute outside Wikipedia.  However, VfD is not the place to take
> this.  That issue is with the copyright status of the images, not the
> appropriateness of the page.  The page itself is about Wikipedia and
> is in a User: namespace, so there are no problems there whatsoever.

> -Morven

 I referenced the violations right in my email.  [[Wikipedia:What Wikipedia
is not]] #15, and
[[Wikipedia:Copyrights]]  ("If you contribute material to Wikipedia, you
thereby license it
to the public under the GFDL").  The appropriate place to bring up a
violation of what Wikipedia is not is on VfD.  As for the violation of
Wikipedia:Copyrights, there really isn't an appropriate place to bring it
up.  It's not a copyright violation, so the copyright problems page isn't
appropriate.  And the image is still used on a page, so images for deletion
isn't appropriate either.

> Similarly, I once received a message on my talk page saying, "Do you
> mind not going and vfding other peoples articles." What are these people
> thinking? That you're supposed to list only your own articles?

>  Timwi

Perhaps the problem is that the page was created by an admin (and that's
what "other people" was supposed to mean).  I'm going to take that as my
lesson.  Don't list pages created by admins on VfD.  Maybe I'll even extend
it to not listing pages created by longstanding Wikipedians on VfD, at least
not without discussing it with them first.

In hindsight I guess I could have started by asking Raul to license the
images under the GFDL and to move the page to meta or his personal homepage
or somewhere more appropriate than en.  I highly doubt this would have
worked, but at that point I guess I could have brought the issue up here.  I
can't get blocked from en.Wikpedia for bringing up issues on this mailing
list, can I?

Again, I'm not saying the block was against the rules.  I don't really care
about the block.  My issues are with the page being on Wikipedia, with the
images not being licensed to anyone other than Wikipedia, and with the
rudeness of the admin who blocked me without discussing things with me
first.

> Forgive me for not getting this, but why not just let
> it languish on VfD? It's clearly not going to get
> deleted.
>Mark

Last time I checked it still is on VfD.  And yes, it's clearly not going to
get deleted, so I'd remove the nomination except for the fact that I'm
blocked.

Anthony