[WikiEN-l] The proliferation of article series boxes

Alex Regh Alex.Here at gmx.net
Tue Apr 27 01:42:57 UTC 2004

Hello!

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:05:28 -0400, you wrote:

>There have recently been a proliferation with the article series boxes.

It is not just *more* boxes, but some of these boxes have a new quality, too.
(Or rather, lack quality even more than the usual ones.) The boxes "LGBT" and
"Project Critical Theory" for example try to make a series out of something
that could not possibly made into a series.

I have already put my opinion on those two on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Article_series, but would like to
encourage more comments, since the makers of those particular boxes are
completely deaf to any comments on them, too; the LGBT people don't even
bother to answer any comment. There are probably more cases like this out
there, but those are the two I stumbled over.

>This is a sign that we are in dire need of the category system. What is
>the current state of the category system and what can Nohat do to help?
>
>Let there be categories before the Wikipedia is inundated with articles
>that are 99% article series boxes and 1% content.

Yes, we need categories - and until then, let's *stop* those damn things, too.

Greetings from Cologne,
Alex
--
If you don't go over the top,