[WikiEN-l] Re: [roy_q_royce at hotmail.com: --A RequestRE aWIKIArticle--]

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Sep 27 04:44:33 UTC 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Roy Royce wrote:

> [Poor's message failed to appear in my Hotmail inbox, so I am
> replying to him via Saintonge's message, which did appear]
>
> [Mr. Poor wrote:]
>
> >Mr. Royce,
>
> >Please do not call other list members names or otherwise make nasty
> >personal remarks.
>
> >    "Mr. Tim Starling is either a liar or an easily-fooled person."
>
> Which is worse, calling someone a liar or libel?

Mr Royce, your question is a non sequitor. If you believe that Tim
Starling was wrong abut what he said, the proper way that demonstrates
Wikilove is to say "I belive Tim Starling is in error when he says..."

Presenting yourself to a fresh audience by accusing someone they know
better than you a liar immediately makes all of your words sound shrill.
In a word, you lost credibility off the start. Then, by writing of
lies & libel, you've damaged your credibility further.

[snip]

> (And anyone who reads my Usenet messages can see that I am
> by no means a vicious person.)

I don't need to read your Usenet messages. I participated in
alt.religion.scientology for several years; I know viciousness.
Your email that I am responding to is vicious.

Take a few minutes to calm down, consider how you can present
your case in a non-accusatory tone, then do so in an email.
Let's assume misunderstandings before you start seeing hostile
intentions where none exist.

Geoff