[WikiEN-l] Re: Banning User:BuddhaInside

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 24 05:15:35 UTC 2003

John Robinson wrote:
> Now that account banning is installed on en: I plan to avail of it.
> User:BuddhaInside has been trolling the 'pedia for over two weeks now,
> with no end in sight.  His contributions list is an almost endless
> series of revert wars; a record of some objections to his actions can be
> found at [[Wikipedia:Problem_users/BuddhaInside]] and at the following
> user talk pages which he has attempted to hide from view:
> User page
> [[User_talk:BuddhaInside/Delete6633]]
>
> User talk page
> [[User_talk:BuddhaInside/Delete3091]]
> [[User_talk:BuddhaInside/Delete5253]]
> [[User_talk:BuddhaInside/Delete0655]]
> [[User_talk:BuddhaInside/Delete4368]]
>
>  From his/her actions, it's clear this is someone who has used the
> system extensively before the account was made, either someone wanting a
> "Hyde"-type personality to cause trouble for fun, or a previously banned
> user.
>
> I don't take using an account ban lightly, so this is your chance to
> either talk me out of it or yank my admin privileges beforehand.  I
> intend to ban this account after another day or so.
>
> -Hephaestos

My understanding of the current consensus policy on banning is:

"As of September 2003, it is now possible for sysops to block usernames.
It is important to note that sysops are not authorised to decide whether
a particular case of vandalism warrants banning by username. The ability
to ban by username has been made available for the purposes of enforcing
a ban already approved by Jimbo. It may be used to block obvious
reincarnations of hard-banned users."

This paragraph is present at [[Wikipedia:Bans and blocks]] and
[[Wikipedia:Administrators]].

So you need to talk Jimbo into it; it's not our job to talk you out of it.

-- Tim Starling.