[WikiEN-l] A few different topics

jheiskan at welho.com jheiskan at welho.com
Mon Sep 1 06:20:49 UTC 2003

Quoting Dante Alighieri <dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com>:

> At 06:11 PM 8/31/2003, you wrote:
> >We don't yet have a deletion/sysop event log table. If you'd like to whip
> >one up before I get to it, it would happen sooner rather than later.
> >
> >-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
>
> C'mon, Brion, you slacker! Get to it! What the heck are we paying you for,
> anyway? ;)
>
> I would suggest an auto-expiration of IP blocks at one week. This will most
> likely be long enough to discourage people from repeat vandalism without
> unduly affecting those poor souls who share dynamic IPs with vandals.
>

> -----
> Dante Alighieri
> dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com

I would suggest auto expiration of any and all kinds of blocks, after a
randomized timeperiod, weighted toward a short block and having an absolute but
most guarded and encrypted secret top length. The legitimate users would thus
experience it as a temporary glitch. The vandal who knows that the block is a
result of his activities, would be kept guessing though. Somehow I felt a dejá
lu just right now. Did I already suggest this earlier?

-- Cimon Avaro on a pogostick