[WikiEN-l] Proposed: stop all deletes for 6 months, then reconsider

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Nov 10 16:45:55 UTC 2003

I think it is clear that the 'stop all deletes for 6 months' concept
has zero traction, so we can safely dismiss it now.

James Duffy wrote:
> The ''deletionists'' against ''inclusionists'' argument is utterly
> bogus. It is a case of those who take the idea that wikipedia as an
> encyclopedia seriously and basic standards below which an article is
> deleted and those who see wikipedia as some sort of scribblebox
> where any sort of rubbish, not matter how bad, has a 'right' to be
> left undisturbed.

People have been upset about the phrase "straw man", but really I
think that phrase has to be said when you try to characterize the
debate in this way.

I take the idea that Wikipedia is an encyclopedia seriously, and I
think that there are basic standards below which an article should be
deleted, and I do not see wikipedia as a scribblebox where any sort of
rubbish has a 'right' to be left undisturbed.

I don't think anyone participating in this debate currently holds a
position even remotely resembling your characterization.

Perhaps you should revisit my position, because it's possible that
we're actually in complete agreement.

--Jimbo