[WikiEN-l] Proposed: stop all deletes for 6 months, then reconsider

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Sat Nov 8 23:31:19 UTC 2003

James Duffy wrote:

> [...] It is quite frankly the most ludicrous of ludicrous ideas

Not that anybody is being histrionic or anything...

> [...] The ''deletionists'' against ''inclusionists'' argument is
> utterly bogus. It is a case of those who take the idea that wikipedia
> as an encyclopedia seriously and basic standards below which an
> article is deleted and those who see wikipedia as some sort of
> scribblebox where any sort of rubbish, not matter how bad, has a
> 'right' to be left undisturbed.

...nor that we want to mischaracterize legitimate positions in the most
extreme terms possible, or insult our opponents. Is there anybody else
here foolhardy enough to claim that I don't take the idea of Wikipedia
as an encyclopedia seriously?

I've never argued against the deletion of bad content, but the VfD page has
become a stalking horse for the debate about WP's scope. That's a fine
debate
to have, and we should be working to develop consensus about scope; but
instead of filling up meta with a rational discussion, we have daily
catfights on VfD.

A bunch of my content these days comes from books (remember those?) rather
than the net; and so one of these days I'm sure some moron is going to
list one of my new articles on VfD "because it only has 20 Google hits",
as if Google is now the only definition of human knowledge or something.

Stan