[WikiEN-l] Re: Sexist pronouns

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Fri Jul 18 09:34:55 UTC 2003

Delirium wrote:

> So when you say something like "They fall asleep as they watch TV,"
> it sounds very much like you're talking about multiple people.

Not really, because you wouldn't use it without establishing a context
first. Thus something like:
	The student fell asleep as they were watching TV.
or:
	As for the student, they fell asleep as they were watching TV.
which is unambiguous.

I really don't know why I said this, because after all that happened
with RK and stuff, the least I want on this list now is a "singular they
yes or no" debate, but ...

Timwi