[WikiEN-l] Re: There is also an english wikipedia available

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue Jul 15 18:26:12 UTC 2003

Walter Vermeir wrote in part:

>Anthere wrote:

>>Could editors on the various international wikipedia
>>and english wikipedia (that is the correct
>>denomination I guess)

>That is not I find but if you use something different people will not
>understand what you mean. I can live whit it.

I never say "international Wikipedia".
I might say "Wikipedia is an international project.",
but then this /includes/ the English version!

>>Perhaps the italian wikipedia might be interested by
>>this article ?

>Why should they?
>Why should the Italian Wikipedia care for a article on the English
>Wikipedia that is a google-translated article from the Italian Wikipedia?

There is a misunderstanding here.

The article began on [[en:]], and it began in Italian.
It was only Google-translated later on, for [[en:]]'s use.
But [[it:]] might well want the /original/ article,
which they didn't have before.

So it's helpful to [[it:]] if the people on [[en:]],
before deleting (or translating) the article,
send it over to [[it:]], as a matter of courtesy.

-- Toby