[WikiEN-l] Re: group work, unattributed work (was: Use of Wikipedia articles at Malaspina.com)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 21:12:20 UTC 2003

Oliver Pereira wrote:
>Perhaps the edit page should have a notice
>saying, "This edit will be attributed to you under
>the pseudonym [some unique identifier here]. If
>you do not wish to use that pseudonym, you may wish
>to register a user name or, if you already have one,
>log in."

I think that is a very good idea. Otherwise, as you
have noted, allowing Anon edits isn't really in the
spirit of the GNU FDL. The only other real alternative
is to stop allowing Anon edits and, IMO, that is last
thing we should do at this point (maybe when Wikipedia
is a household word we can think about that but until
then allowing anybody to edit without even having to
log in has been a major source of snagging new
contributors - cut that off and I fear that our
attrition numbers will begin to exceed our recruiting
numbers).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)