[WikiEN-l] Ideas on a methodology

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Jul 4 12:35:50 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:
> Jimbo should have the final word on this. My vote goes to Nupedia.

I agree with Erik's reasons, mostly, but my only concern is that we
don't want to offer anything that seems like a slight against or lack
of respect for Wikipedians.

Overall, I think that 'Nupedia' is a much better name than
'Wikipedia', and I sort of wish now that we had simply opened
Wikipedia under the name 'Nupedia wiki'.

One advantage of doing a 'drive to 1.0' under the Nupedia brand is
that it instantly dispels likely concerns on the part of Wikipedians
that we're going to eliminate the openness and so on and turn inward
with a cabal of 'credentialed experts'.

I'm not sure which of these concerns is really valid, since I think
people shouldn't worry about such things in the first place.  :-)

--Jimbo