[WikiEN-l] Ideas on a methodology

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Jul 4 02:52:00 UTC 2003

Daniel-
> Erik wrote:
>> In my opinion, Wikipedia should be the
>> unstable version of Nupedia, a bit like
>> Debian has a permanent unstable section.
>> Things in Wikipedia can be complete
>> nonsense, but they are always up to date.

> I agree completely except for the name of the "stable" Wikipedia
> distribution; that, IMO, should be the slightly different "GNUpedia." Of
> course the GNU people esp RMS would have to sign off on our use of the "GNU"
> brand. If they do not feel comfortable with that then we can use Nupedia.

Even if they do (which I somewhat doubt unless we more openly endorse or
participate in the GNU project), this would link us strongly to the GNU
philosophy. That is a somewhat controversial move, since some contributors
do not agree with that philosophy, at least not entirely, or with the
organization which represents it. GNU also carries connotations of
openness and collaborative development, much like wiki, but we want to
distinguish the two. The Nupedia name has the benefit of neutrality, and
is already associated with the connotation of quality.

Jimbo should have the final word on this. My vote goes to Nupedia.

Regards,

Erik