[WikiEN-l] The Lir situation

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Feb 10 12:05:32 UTC 2003

Jonathan Walther wrote:
> In practice, it amounts to that. I have seen Eric and Ortolan and
> some others attack Ed Poor when he appropriately protected a page to
> stop an edit war, when he had recently been involved in editing that
> page himself.

There will always be the possibility of "judgment calls" where sysops
question each other.  These need never turn into heated arguments
unless there's some kind of ongoing problem.

As general wisdom on edit wars, I recommend that people sometimes (not
always, it depends on the circumstances, and different people will
judge things differently at times)... that people sometimes let the
other person "win" for now.  Just drop the debate, and come back to
the page tomorrow.  Maybe the other person will be gone then.  Maybe
they will have a change of heart by then.  Maybe you'll think of a way
to make the article NPOV *and* satisfy their concerns.

--Jimbo